Thursday, April 22, 2010

Past the Hump

Whoa Nelly. Oscar is now officially a 19 month old. He is past the year-and-a-half hump and is a total toddler. As I type this, he is "drawing" with his favorite crayons - orange and "lellow." (Those are the two colors he ALWAYS goes for first for some reason.) Although he favors orange and yellow, he knows all his colors. In fact, he even knows some weird ones, too. I was so proud of him the other day, while hanging out at Diva and Poppa's house, Oscar picked out my sweater from my suitcase and said "Peach!" And the best part of all is that he was right!

He has such a memory, this kid. I can teach him something one day and think he could care less about it, but about a week later he'll repeat it back to me. I was showing him a rainbow (a glass refraction) a couple weeks ago and telling Oz what it was (as he skipped/hopped around the room) and I thought it was just falling on deaf ears. But quite literally, seven days later, he saw some fabric I was using on a project and started yelling "Rainbow!!! Blue! Green! Purple! Red! Orange! Yellow!" It's wacky. It's also dangerous. He still knows (and uses occasionally) words I don't want him to use; like "freaky" and "gimme." It's super hard to erase something OUT of his vocabulary.

So, Oz has about 350 to 400 hundred words now. It's wild. He really is a little chatterbox. He loves to learn new words, too. Yesterday he learned "gumball" (as in, the ones that fall from the tree - don't worry mom... I'm not giving my one year old chewing gum) and "sandbox." He is also learning to use phases right, too. Last night during bath time, Oscar had a great big burp. Before Tim could say anything, Oscar said "Excuse me." AHH!!! My baby knows his manners! I'm so proud. He can count up to ten and he is starting to parrot back the ABC song to me. I really am proud of how quick he is (if you couldn't already guess that).

We just got back from a week spent in Virginia visiting Diva and Poppa (my parents) and it just seems like all of the "baby" in Oscar is now gone. He's no longer my tiny little boy that I just brought home from the hospital anymore... I'm somewhat mourning the loss of that tiny little thing. But whenever I hear Oz say "Luff you" as he gives me a great big hug around the neck, I smile and just anticipate what kind of amazing things he has in store for the future. I sure am smitten!

No comments: