Saturday, November 21, 2009

Favorite Baby Stuff

I just send my buddy Rach (who is due in early January) this list of items that I loved using with Oscar, like things I don't want to be without as our family expands (eventually, that is) and I figured it would probably be good to put the list here, so I'll always remember it. These are baby products that I think every mom should have. Most of these are convenience items and not necessities, but they sure made my life easier and when you are going through sleep deprivation and physical exhaustion, isn't that just what you need?!?

Here is my list of my top ten favorite baby stuff:
  1. "Miracle Blanket" - This is not to be confused with other snugly wraps, because this one doesn't have any Velcro that could wake your sleepy baby. There is nothing worse than getting your baby ready for a nap and having that messed up by that crinkling sound (which really seemed to piss Oz off).
  2. "Jolly Jumper" - There are lots of these on the market, but none are as good as the real "Jolly Jumper." Oscar is long and lean, so the Jolly Jumper was a good fit because the other kinds are just really wide. We had trouble finding one and finally ended up ordering it on eBay. I had another kind before we got the Jolly Jumper and I had to wrap blankets around Oz to keep him sitting upright! Oz really loved his. He would jump to his heart's content. I think that is why he was such an early walker, too.
  3. Sling - These come in all shapes and sizes. Even the best baby has days when he will just want to be close to you and want to be held...the sling is the best way to go because you can still use your hands. I really liked the "Maya wrap" type of sling and Tim like the Baby Bjorn (I got one for $1!).
  4. Bouncy Chair - These are great because you can pop your baby in it while you take a shower. It's ridiculous how much I used mine. Sometimes, it was the only place Oscar would nap. Mine had a vibrating thing in it that really soothed him.
  5. Activity Play Mat - Before baby starts to crawl, this is great thing to play on. Most babies don't like tummy time, but this helped Oz. It is like a padded mat that has a dangly bar with toys hanging down.
  6. A Pump - This was indeed a lifesaver. I didn't make enough milk at first, so I used this to help build a supply. If you do it right, it helps trigger your body into producing more. Plus it was nice to let Tim be able to feed the baby sometimes, especially at the beginning when you're feeding every 3-4 hours! That gets exhausting. I got a Medela "On the Go" pump that usually goes for $300+ online for $50 bucks. (You just need to replace the hoses and bottles, which is easy if you buy a good brand.)
  7. LOTS of burp cloths. Enough said.
  8. A Boppy Pillow - This was always with me. It's way versatile, too. I got mine at a tag sale and just washed it and bought slip covers.
  9. A Bumbo Chair - These are pricey, but Oscar didn't fit into his high chair until he was around 8 months old. And we started giving him solids at 4 months, so I used the Bumbo SO much! I got a little tray that attached, so it worked really well.
  10. Pack'n'Play - Someone gave us their old baby bassinet, which was nice to have, but Oscar outgrew it before we moved him into his own room. The Pack'n'Play was nice to have because it came with a bassinet attachment that we used for a long time while he was still in the room with us. Also, whenever we travel, it becomes his crib. We STILL use it.

No comments: